Skip to main content

Remembering our last travel before the pandemic...Part 1

Every once in a while I find myself in a trance.  I pause to reflect on what is happening in the world.  The feeling is overwhelming.   I recall the year that was. Then I remember the year before. The Pre-pandemic. What it meant for me then and what it means to me now. A world of difference. Something that I may never be able to go back to ever again.

2019...That year was when I backpacked with my husband from Vietnam to Cambodia to Thailand by land and air in 6 days- an awesome feat for someone with a chronic illness like me.  Manila to Ho Chi Mihn was supposed to bea  normal uneventful night flight but turned out to be a traumatic experience for our first time in Vietnam.  The taxi driver duped us into letting him count our money and with his quick hands was able to snatch at least P1,000 worth of Dong money from us.  

We actually stayed in 2 hotels in Vietnam both of which were not worth mentioning at all.  Both were 2 star hotels where we had the most unpleasant stays in the whole trip.

I remember taking the cheapest night bus from Ho Chi Mihn to Siem Reap.  We were indeed courting danger but we manage to brave our backpacking adventures and make it in one piece.  That bus ride was probably the cringiest bus ride I ever had. Not to mention that the bus itself must have been as old as I am judging from how it creeks at every step, the ride was uneventful yet unnerving still with almost all passengers smelling like they've been out in the sun all day.  My only comfort then was that I was with my most loyal steed, hubby always kept guard and made sure that he wrapped his arms around me all 14 hours of the way.  

We reached Siem Reap at 10 in the evening so you can imagine how scared we were when the bus stopped on a dingy garage-like bus station which looked like a scene from an old horror movie.  There were only a few people around but these seemed like the ones you wouldn't like to make eye contact with.  I tried calling the hotel that I booked which promised to pick us up but my skype kept failing me. My hubby started to talk to some boy who drove a Tuktuk and ask if he could bring us to the hotel but the boy did not know about the hotel. We were just about to panic when my phone rang and alas it was the hotel!  They couldnt find the terminal that I indicated in my booking but they were searching all 5 bus terminals near the vicinity.  What a relief!  I told the girl from the hotel that we were able to talk to a Tuktuk driver who can probably take us there so we made them talk to each other.  

Thankfully, in minutes, we arrived in the The Cyclo Siem Reap Hotel and Praise God it only went right up from there. 

I'll tell you about the next 2 days in my next blog but for now let me share you a pic from this amazing hotel we found in Siem Reap - THE CYCLO SIEM REAP HOTEL




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What makes a good Financial Advisor?

If you're my age, you've more likely come across an Insurance Agent or Financial Advisor from among the popular insurance companies in the Philippines.  Most of them claim to be able to advise you on investment portfolios that you may want to buy or avail for yourself.  They would often ask you first about your investment capacity or the amount that you are willing to invest whether monthly or one-time and then move into presenting you a proposal based on that alone.   Based on my experience on investments, the best kind of advisors are those that are concerned with the end goal rather than what you'd like to give up from your disposable income.  Normally, when you ask people about how much they would like to invest, they would normally just let you know how much extra extra money they have or what they usually have left after a payroll cutoff.  If you let people do that, chances are you'd end up getting lose changes as investment funds.  There lies the disconnect usual

Retirement in the Philippines: Going against the grain

I started to think about retirement at age 36.  I don't know why but it was then that I realized that despite my good prospects for promotion in the near future and my steady stream of income from the investments that we were making, I just knew then that I needed to start my journey to financial stability and security.   My son and my youngest was less than a year old then.  I computed in my mind that when he reached college at 18 years old, I would be around 55 years old by then.  I was unsure what I'd be by then.  Would I still be healthy enough to work?  Would we have enough savings to make sure that he has money for a decent college to go to?  Would he be intelligent enough to make it to UP to enjoy free tuition?  It was unsettling.  I felt I had to do something.  And so I realized that I wasn't even talking about retirement.  I was just thinking about Sam's college really.   So it was then that I made my big leap to get a VUL.  I did not know much about it then bu

That Amazing Ilocos Trip

  Just came from our 4-day Ilocos Region adventure with the fam and I am so stoked to write about it! My husband and I contemplated on taking the trip about a month ago when he mentioned that he wanted to see Vigan. I've been there a couple of times for work but have always wanted to visit with him and the kids so I relented despite my apprehensions because of the long travel ahead. I started creating our IT which was difficult to finalize since it meant that I had to see if we can afford the hefty sums for accommodations during peak seasons. So the first thing I did was to look for hotels within or near Vigan. Praise God I was able to find a hotel offering a family room for less than P5k! I immediately booked with a free cancelation option in case plans go hayward. So the rest of the planning began. I booked a halfway airbnb since I know that it was a loooong drive to Vigan. Then I looked for acomm in Pagudpod in case hubby wanted to go too. Alas! 2 weeks before the trip, my husba