Skip to main content

How knowing SEO changed my career path

It's been more than a year since I took the SEO specialization course from Coursera given by UC Davis Extension program. And boy is it a great pivoting experience so far.  As one who have been in the practice of market research for more than 20 years, venturing into a totally new field is not only nerve-wracking but also defining.  It changed my career path unexpectedly even at age 40.  

It was also last year that I have concurrently been assigned as Head of SEO/SEM for the entire conglomerate.  And because of that, I have been able to practice SEO not only with one website but with 12.  One year later, I've seen these websites grow impressions by 1k% and traffic by 500% because of organic and local SEO.  It actually surprised me how powerful SEO really is in achieving traffic goals which will help you eventually grow leads. We now have a steadily increasing number of leads across the 12 brands. 

But recently I have been trying to assess if I were to shift my career to SEO/SEM.  I have been mulling over it for quite sometime. And I surmised that if I were to be really successful with this, I need to also be a good digital marketer which needs to include Social Media.  As shy as I am in real life, I really don't see myself turning into a vlogger or a tiktoker.  That's really not my thing.  But my hubby suggested that I should explore podcast instead. Well, maybe I will, maybe I won't, we'll see. 

Where am I going with this blog, I actually don't know. I just want to update and share my thoughts with everyone as I venture into a career assessment.  In my age, I know it's quite late and may not be a good thing since I think I already established myself in the research industry somehow.  But I know that even market research needs to be digitized and so I am also thinking to help the said industry to pivot to digital market research.  

By God's grace I'll be able to think things through. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What makes a good Financial Advisor?

If you're my age, you've more likely come across an Insurance Agent or Financial Advisor from among the popular insurance companies in the Philippines.  Most of them claim to be able to advise you on investment portfolios that you may want to buy or avail for yourself.  They would often ask you first about your investment capacity or the amount that you are willing to invest whether monthly or one-time and then move into presenting you a proposal based on that alone.   Based on my experience on investments, the best kind of advisors are those that are concerned with the end goal rather than what you'd like to give up from your disposable income.  Normally, when you ask people about how much they would like to invest, they would normally just let you know how much extra extra money they have or what they usually have left after a payroll cutoff.  If you let people do that, chances are you'd end up getting lose changes as investment funds.  There lies the disconnect usual

Retirement in the Philippines: Going against the grain

I started to think about retirement at age 36.  I don't know why but it was then that I realized that despite my good prospects for promotion in the near future and my steady stream of income from the investments that we were making, I just knew then that I needed to start my journey to financial stability and security.   My son and my youngest was less than a year old then.  I computed in my mind that when he reached college at 18 years old, I would be around 55 years old by then.  I was unsure what I'd be by then.  Would I still be healthy enough to work?  Would we have enough savings to make sure that he has money for a decent college to go to?  Would he be intelligent enough to make it to UP to enjoy free tuition?  It was unsettling.  I felt I had to do something.  And so I realized that I wasn't even talking about retirement.  I was just thinking about Sam's college really.   So it was then that I made my big leap to get a VUL.  I did not know much about it then bu

That Amazing Ilocos Trip

  Just came from our 4-day Ilocos Region adventure with the fam and I am so stoked to write about it! My husband and I contemplated on taking the trip about a month ago when he mentioned that he wanted to see Vigan. I've been there a couple of times for work but have always wanted to visit with him and the kids so I relented despite my apprehensions because of the long travel ahead. I started creating our IT which was difficult to finalize since it meant that I had to see if we can afford the hefty sums for accommodations during peak seasons. So the first thing I did was to look for hotels within or near Vigan. Praise God I was able to find a hotel offering a family room for less than P5k! I immediately booked with a free cancelation option in case plans go hayward. So the rest of the planning began. I booked a halfway airbnb since I know that it was a loooong drive to Vigan. Then I looked for acomm in Pagudpod in case hubby wanted to go too. Alas! 2 weeks before the trip, my husba