Skip to main content

Indochina challenge...Chronicles of our trip to Ho Chi Minh, Sirm Reap and Bangkok

So, my husband and I embarked on this journey in an attempt to complete out SEA countries travel checklist.
So far we've been to Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei.
Now we're in Vietnam and about to travel to Cambodia and our last stop would be Bangkok.
So far our Saigon trip has been bitter sweet leaning to the bitter a bit more. My husband and I call the country- THE HUSTLING CAPITAL OF THE ASIA.  We've had our most frightful welcome when we arrived 2 days ago. It was past 9 when we touched down Saigon. I made a mistake hailing a cab instead of booking grab, which i found out was quite easy in HCM. Anyway, upon queuing in the taxi bay, a couple of uniformed drivers approached us asking if we needed a ride. We chose a Vinusun taxi leaning online that this is a legit taxi company. Upon arrival at our hotel, still inside the taxi, we asked how much our bill was. The driver mentioned 380 and just signalled us to pay with some hand gesture. My husband gave a 100k dong bill but we said it was 380 and said to just show him our money. To our horrors, he grabbed all our money very quickly and began counting in front of us. My husband suddenly remembered an online comment we read about some Vietnamese driver doing the same thing to us. Then to his surprise, he saw the man threw our money on the passenger seat. So my husband grabbed it and told the man: this is ours! The man denied it and said that it was his. So we had a bit of squabble with the man. The man gave up and was asking us are you sure it was your money? Are you sure you're ok? To our disgust, we just took our things and went inside the hotel. In the hotel, we realized that another 500k dong was missing. The man probably threw one bill om the seat and another somewhere else. 500k dong is about Php1k. So we decided to just charge it to our one of a kind albeit sordid experience of our first day in Vietnam.

So we were off to an awful start! But this did not dampen our Spirits and we vowed to make a better day 2.
We stayed at the New Space Hotel which was very near the airport. The hotel room was big but the beddings particularly the comforter was dirty. But since we just needed a quick place to stay, we were able to call it a day at around 11pm.
The morning after we were ready to move on from our unfortunate first day. The breakfast in the hotel was passable with a good assortment of rice and bread options. It even had salad and some cold cuts aside. I loved the homemade yougurt and fruits.
We were able to book a grabcar to our next hotel and paid online to avoid having to settle payment with the driver. We arrived safely at Dragon Palace 3, our next accommodation which was right in the middle of district 1. It was very accessible to a lot of establishments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retirement in the Philippines: Going against the grain

I started to think about retirement at age 36.  I don't know why but it was then that I realized that despite my good prospects for promotion in the near future and my steady stream of income from the investments that we were making, I just knew then that I needed to start my journey to financial stability and security.   My son and my youngest was less than a year old then.  I computed in my mind that when he reached college at 18 years old, I would be around 55 years old by then.  I was unsure what I'd be by then.  Would I still be healthy enough to work?  Would we have enough savings to make sure that he has money for a decent college to go to?  Would he be intelligent enough to make it to UP to enjoy free tuition?  It was unsettling.  I felt I had to do something.  And so I realized that I wasn't even talking about retirement.  I was just thinking about Sam's college really.   So it was then that I made my big leap to get a VUL.  I did not know much about it then bu

What makes a good Financial Advisor?

If you're my age, you've more likely come across an Insurance Agent or Financial Advisor from among the popular insurance companies in the Philippines.  Most of them claim to be able to advise you on investment portfolios that you may want to buy or avail for yourself.  They would often ask you first about your investment capacity or the amount that you are willing to invest whether monthly or one-time and then move into presenting you a proposal based on that alone.   Based on my experience on investments, the best kind of advisors are those that are concerned with the end goal rather than what you'd like to give up from your disposable income.  Normally, when you ask people about how much they would like to invest, they would normally just let you know how much extra extra money they have or what they usually have left after a payroll cutoff.  If you let people do that, chances are you'd end up getting lose changes as investment funds.  There lies the disconnect usual

Investing in real estate in the time of COVID

Investing in real estate (condo and house and lot) in the time of COVID As a real estate researcher, I've read and navigated through a lot of information and data to analyze and provide insights to our company leaders about industry trends.  Off work, many of my friends also ask me for advise when it comes to decisions about real estate.  To buy or not to buy this property, to sell or not to sell at this price, to rent out long or short term, house and lot or condo , and other related queries about what to do with their money and property.  I almost always suggest to keep it simple and logical.  If it does not add up and you have an inch of a doubt about it, then don't do it.  However, there are also signals that should not be ignored.  This is especially true in periods when demand presets supply.  The worst case scenario for a buyer/investor is to see a property be sold out just when you've decided to buy it and then see it appreciate exponentiall